Thursday, December 18, 2014

Why you need to throw your scale out this year!



 
Day 3: Accomplish your New Years resolutions
Throw out your scale!
 

Why you need to throw your scale out
and what you should be doing instead.
 
 
By now most of us have herd every reason in the book on why you need to get rid of your scale, but what should you be doing instead?
 
First lets review what is wrong with the scale:
 
Your weight is constantly fluctuating based on water retention, menstrual cycle, your food intake for that day etc...
  • Weighing yourself every morning or even multiple times a day becomes  an obsession and what do you really gain from that.
 
  • Either you are at the weight you want/hoped and maybe you give yourself a little leeway with your diet and long term that greater hinders your goals. Now the flip side of this is you are not at the weight you want and you deprive yourself once again hindering those long term goals. 
  • Your scale gives you nothing more the a meaningless number. Your weight tells you nothing about your health, it tells you nothing about your body composition. (below image is not me or my image).
http://thedailysampler.com/2014/02/22/a-fitness-wake-up-call-for-women/

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

What should you be doing instead?
  • First you need to get over the idea that you need an everyday confirmation of your progress. That is how unhealthy habits form.
  • Instead focus on how you feel on a day to day basis based on your diet and fitness. This information is actually a learning tool about your own behaviors.
  • I challenge you not to weigh yourself for one month after you have cut the obsession out of your life you are ready to take on a healthy way of measuring progress.
There are two ways I track my progress (I do this once a month and only once a month, first thing in the morning when I wake up):
  1. Progress pics: I take pictures in the same or similar outfits once a month and I can compare those pics to the month prior or even 6 months prior. I can literally see where I have progressed and what I need to work on for that month.
  2. http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/body-measurements/
  3. Measuring: Now that I have my progress pics  I want to put some kind of number to it and this is were a very simple and cheap tape measures comes in. Losing or gaining inches deepening on my goals is more informative then weight could ever be. 
Your weight can change hourly, inches change with work, time and progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment